|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Relatives||Professor Ivo (creator)|
In mid 1960, during his first encounter with the original Justice League of America (Green Lantern; the Flash; Aquaman; Wonder Woman and the Martian Manhunter), they begin experiencing a sudden loss of their abilities. Ivo is revealed to be the mastermind behind the scheme, and using data collected from the captured specimens creates a potion that will bestow immortality, hoping to escape his fear of death. The plan, however, is foiled by Green Lantern, and Ivo and Amazo are defeated.
A few years later, at the suggestion of team mascot Snapper Carr, the Justice League reactivate Amazo to deal with an alien threat. Although the alien drains Amazo's abilities, the android's combined powers overload the creature as intended. The Justice League then defeat Amazo once again and return the android to storage.
The heroes reactivate Amazo once again, when the Justice League lose their powers due to the machinations of the villain Libra. The android is able to draw in their lost powers which are eventually returned via technology devised by Batman and the Atom.
In the early part of 78' radiation from an exploding red sun in deep space reaches Earth and weakens Superman significantly. The radiation also revives Amazo, who defeats the remainder of the Justice League. Amazo then seeks out Ivo, wishing to be deactivated. Discovering Ivo cannot assist, the android decides to kill both Ivo and Superman. Superman is forced to create and use a machine called the "Supermobile" to compensate for his weakened state, and saves both Ivo and Lois Lane from Amazo. Superman then uses the device to travel five days into the future, when the effects of the red solar radiation have passed Earth. Newly empowered, Superman defeats Amazo and rescues the Justice League.
Powers and Abilities
- Power Replication: Amazo's absorption cells are able to scan a superhuman's abilities and replicate them. This makes him one of the JLA's most powerful enemies.
- Absorption Cells: throughout Amazo's synthetic body permit the android to replicate the special abilities of any super-beings in his immediate proximity. With every being encountered, Amazo becomes even more powerful and virtually unstoppable.
First Appearance (Earth-One):
- Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #30 (June, 1960)
As a Wax Figure in late 1975:
- Amazo first appears in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #30 (June, 1960).
- He was created by Gardner Fox and (June 1960) and Murphy Anderson.
- ↑ As revealed in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #30 (July 1960), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ As revealed in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #27 (May 1964), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ As revealed in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #111 through issue #112 (June - August 1974), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ As seen in the SuperFriends Comic Book (1976-1981) issue: Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (December 1975 / January 1976).
- ↑ As revealed in Action Comics, Vol. 1 #480 through issue #483 (February - May 1978), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #30 (June, 1960).