SuperFriends Team Member
|Real name:||Raymond "Ray" Palmer|
|AKA:||The Tiny Titan|
|Played by:|| Wally Burr|
Pat Harrington, Jr.
On the parallel-universe of Earth-One, the Atom is the physicist and university professor Ray Palmer. Using a mass of white dwarf star matter, he fashioned a lens which allowed him to shrink down to subatomic size. Originally, his size and molecular density abilities derived from the white dwarf star material of his costume, controlled by mechanisms in his belt, and later by controls in the palms of his gloves. He carries out the bulk of his early superheroic adventures in his home of Ivy Town where he often helps his girlfriend, lawyer Jean Loring, win her cases.
Continuity from Filmation's DC Superheroes Adventures (1967-1968)
The Atom (Ray Palmer) first appears in the Filmation produced shorts, shown during The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure. He works as a professor, investigating scientific revolutions in plant-life, size manipulation and genetics. Often, he finds himself in situations involving scientific outcomes which he, as the Atom, has an increased advantage to overcome.
Powers and Abilities
- Size reduction: He can make himself incredibly small, however he doesn't seem to be able to turn himself into a giant.
- Mass Alteration: Able to instantly alter his molecular density to whatever degree he desires. Ray can also assume any weight at any height — up to his full 180 pounds.
- Sub-Atomic Strength: Possesses Sub-Atomic strength at reduced size
- Genius level intellect
- Atomic Pulse: He can project atomic particles that disrupt sonar.
- Judo: Atom is trained in the martial art known as Judo.
- Physics: He is a professor of physics at Ivy University.
- Swordsmanship: He is also fairly good at combat with a sword.
SuperFriends Team Members
- The Silver Age Atom, Ray Palmer first appeared in Showcase #34 (September-October 1961)
- Ray Palmer was named for real-life science fiction writer Raymond A. Palmer, who was himself quite short.
- He was created by Gardner Fox and Gil Kane.
- The Atom has a different voice over in his first appearance on Hanna Barbera’s Super Friends. In all future appearances, voice director Wally Burr takes on the role.
- He made his first animated appearance in three seven-minute episodes that aired as part of The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure in 1967.
- He also guest starred in the Justice League of America segments of the same show.
- Absent from his animated appearances is anything from the comic books, including his at-the-time-girlfriend, Jean Loring, his hometown, Ivy Town, and any mention of the mass of white dwarf star matter that gives him his power.
- There have been four characters who have shared the Atom codename:
- The original Golden Age Atom, Al Pratt, was created by Ben Flinton and Bill O'Connor (Oct. 1940).
- The second Atom was the Silver Age Atom, Ray Palmer, who first appeared in 1961.
- The third Atom, Adam Cray, was a minor character present in Suicide Squad stories.
- The fourth Atom, Ryan Choi, is the Modern Age version, who debuted in a new Atom series in August 2006.
- Ray Palmer at wikipedia.org
- The Atom at wikipedia.org
- The Atom disambiguation page at the DC Database
- Index to the Atom's Earth-1 adventures
- Article on the history/legacy of The Atom from the Comics 101 article series by Scott Tipton.
- The Atom at Don Markstein's Toonopedia™
- The Atom at Scott's Home Page