|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Real name:||Dinah Lance|
|Base:||Her home in Star City|
|Affiliations:||Justice League of America|
|Abilities:||Generate Sound Waves|
Justice League of America Team Member
Dinah Lance from Earth-Two is married to Larry Lance and a member of the Justice Society. In 1969 Larry is killed trying to save Dinah's life from an attack. Out of grief, Canary decides to move to Earth-One to create a fresh start, where she joins the Justice League. Not long after her arrival, she discovers that she has somehow (possibly due to exposure to radiation) gained the ultrasonic scream later dubbed the Canary Cry. After she establishes herself as a JLA member, she begins dating her JLA colleague Green Arrow.
Continuity from Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #147 (October, 1977)
Continuity from Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #148 (November, 1977)
Continuity from SuperFriends Comic Book (November 1977)
Continuity from Legends of the Superheroes (January 1979)
Powers and Abilities
Canary Cry: possesses a metagene that gives her a potent sonic attack, able to damage and stun foes or objects. Her scream is able to shatter metal. Possesses a incredible level over her vocal cords. This enables her to mimic sounds and generate any sound she desires, even developing several abilities.
- Disruption: causes a incredible amount damage to non-living targets, and a remarkable amount of damage to living targets, stuns people in a entire area.
- Sound Disruption: Remarkable ability to disrupt sound and sonic powers.
- Induce Sleep
Martial Arts Master: Making her one of the most skilled martial artists on the planet. She has also been trained by Wildcat, who is formerly the Heavyweight Champion of the World, in the art of Boxing.
Master Tactician and Strategist: Dinah is also considered a strong leader and strategic thinker.
Black Canary possesses the strength level of a woman her age, size and weight who engages in intensive regular exercise. Dinah can therefore press (lift) at least her own bodyweight. The Canary Cry has been able to reach 300 decibels, which is enough to make a person's ears start bleeding even if they're not the attack target. It's possible the scream can reach far higher levels.
SuperFriends Team Members
Legends of the Superheroes (1979):
- The Black Canary never appeared on the series. She only appeared in the comic book and the live action specials.
- The Black Canary first appeared in Flash Comics, Vol. 1 #86 (August 1947). (August 1947).
- She was created by writer Robert Kanigher and artist Carmine Infantino.
- She is on the cover of Flash Comics vol. 1, #92 (February, 1948).
- In her live-action, Legends of the Superheroes appearance, she was portrayed by Danuta Wesley.
- See the Black Canary disambiguation page at the DC Database
- See Black Canary at the Wikipedia.org
- Canary Noir
- JSA member profile
- The Black Canary at Toonopedia
- Black Canary biography
Appearances in Other Media
- ↑ As revealed in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #147 (October, 1977).
- ↑ As seen in the Legends of the Superheroes episode, The Challenge.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Earth-Two
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on the Justice Society
- ↑ Background Information is from Earth-One continuity.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Flash Comics vol. 1, #86
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Flash Comics, Vol. 1 #92 (February, 1948).