He took his New God name, DeSaad from "a being from a future, who taught me so much in my chosen field" and soon became a henchman to a young Darkseid. When threatened by Darkseid's mother, the wicked Queen Heggra of Apokolips, DeSaad was forced to poison Darkseid's beloved, the Princess Suli. Heggra's plan was for Darkseid to then be married to the concubine Tiggra. When Darkseid discovered what happened, he forced DeSaad to poison Heggra in revenge. From that day, DeSaad has been Darkseid's main henchman.
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology: His physiology is different than human physiology, as he comes from a race of immortals.
- Immortality: Like the rest of his race, he is extremely long-lived, and he can possibly live forever, unless he is murdered or dies of some means other than natural causes.
- Engineering: He is a brilliant inventor of weapons and torture devices.
- Manipulation: He is an expert in the art of manipulation, getting people to do what he wants and making people talk through torture.
- Torture: Many of his inventions are instruments of torture, making him a very intimidating person.
- Debuting in the Bronze Age of comic books, DeSaad first appeared in Forever People, Vol. 1 #2 (May, 1971).
- He was created by writer-artist Jack Kirby.