|Real name:||Kent Nelson|
|Affiliations:||Justice League of America|
|Doctor Fate Gallery|
Powers and Abilities
Doctor Fate's magical powers are broad. These powers are derived from the possession of Kent Nelson by Fate, a lord of Order called Nabu. Fate resides in the Helmet of Nabu. When Kent dons the helmet, he only vaguely remembers the experiences of Fate.
Sorcery: At his most potent, Doctor Fate is an accomplished sorcerer, able to match most other wizards in the Universe. He has been credited as being one of the top 12 most powerful heroes in the Universe. Kent is a powerful magician, mostly through use of his enchanted items. He has always used spells cast in the Eastern Way of internal balance and internal focusing as opposed to the Western Hermetic use of symbols and incantations.
However, in the training of Kent Nelson, Nabu taught Kent to use the following powers without the helmet:
- Mystical Bolts
- Spells: Ability to summon & use large amounts of magic to perform almost any feat such as shields, teleportation, increasing size etc.
- Illusion Casting
- Divine Powers
- Astral Projection
- Dimensional Manipulation
- Magnetic Control
- Regeneration: able to regenerate limbs with relative ease.
- Darkness Manipulation
- Energy Manipulation
- Enhanced Intellect
- Mental Shields: offering them protection against other telepaths or other forms of mind-control.
- Time Travel: Ability to travel through the time-stream
- Energy Blasts
- Mind Control: mentally controlling people
- Memory Erasing: erasing memories
- Resurrection: Ability to raise the dead. This ability also allows him to raise himself from death.
- Super Strength
- Super Speed
- Magical Resistance: Making him invulnerable to most magical attacks
- Summon & Banishment: Ability to summon creatures or banish creatures
- Interstellar Teleportation
- Solid Energy Constructs
Without the helmet, Kent Nelson in an ordinary mortal with some knowledge of the mystic arts and is not as powerful as he is with The Helmet of Nabu. Without a mortal host, Nabu, the Lord of Order that inhabits the helmet, cannot visit the earthly plane normally, however he has been able to sustain himself in the physical plane on numerous occasions. On these occasions he was disembodied and was composed of only the helmet, cloak, and Amulet of Anubis. Dr. Fate's main weakness is that his physical form can be stressed and destroyed. It is also revealed that Dr. Fate was not meant to be either male or female, but both united as one, and that unless this is realized Dr. Fate can never reach his full potential. Numerous Golden Age appearances also exploited the fact that for all his powers, Dr. Fate still needed to breathe and was vulnerable to gaseous attacks.
- Doctor Fate made his first appearance in More Fun Comics # 55 (May 1940)
- In DC Comics, there was no Doctor Fate on Earth-One. Fate was a native of Earth-Two only. But as revealed in the Super Powers comics, Doctor Fate is a native of Earth-1A. It should also be noted that in DC Comics, after the Crisis, Doctor Fate was a member of the Justice League.