This article is a stub.
|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
Nommo, is the wizard-king of the African empire of Kor, and member Homo magi race. He stood in the Pillar of Life and was endowed with immortality. He later took the name Doctor Mist and founds international group of superheroes team, the Global Guardians.
Continuity from SuperFriends Comic Book
During the summer of 1978, Doctor Mist and the SuperFriends must find a way to help two radiation-based superheroes, T.N.T and Dan the Dyna-Mite, regain their powers. Later that year, Doctor Mist helps the SuperFriends battle the Mindless Immortal. A few years later, he gathers a number of international heroes to help the SuperFriends battle the Conqueror.
On the parallel-universe of the New Earth, a man named Maltis lived in the ancient African realm of Kor. As he grew to adulthood, he changed his name to Nommo and established himself as king of Kor and guardian of the mystic Flame of Life. As the Flames guardian, he is able to absorb its powers, becoming immortal. From here forward, Maltis was able to create the Stones of Life. He keeps one for himself and gives the others to an emerging race of magical humanoids known as the Homo magi. Centuries later, Maltis would be inspired by the modern heroic age to step out of the shadows. He would adopt the name Dr. Mist and would soon create the Global Guardians, an international group of heroes. Years later, after the Global Guardians were disbanded, he would form the Primal Force. Even though he was immortal, he was not without in-vulnerabilities. He was apparently killed during a battle with the August.
Powers and Abilities
Immortality: After stepping into the Pillar of Life he was endowed with immortality.
Sorcery: Nommo is a homo magi, a human born with the affinity to manipulate magic.
- Elemental Sorcery: With his magic Nommo has shown a greatest affinity to manipulate the elements of the Earth.
- Elemental Transmutation: Ability to rearrange atoms and molecules in both inorganic and organic matter
- Pyrokinesis: Generation and Control of fire
- Aerokinesis: Generation and Control of Air
- Geokinesis: Control of Earth/Rock
- Hydrokinesis: Control of Water
- Cryokinesis: Generation and Control of Ice
- Weather Manipulation
- Chlorokinesis: Control over plants
- Thermokinesis: Nommo has used this ability a few times to stay warm in frigid environments.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Dimensional Travel
- Force Field
- Probability Manipulation
- Magical Awareness: supernatural sensitivity to occult activities and mystic phenomena.
- Dispel: Able to remove illusions and holographic images that his opponents have set up.
- Elemental Conversion
- Molecular Conversion
- Regeneration: Able to heal himself and others
- Size Alteration
- Spectral Sight: He can see spiritual entities and travelers invisible to normal sight; he can perceive magical events at a great distance.
- Magical Manipulation: Nommo is also capable of using all personal and universal magic
- Extraction and Transportation of Souls
- Mystical Invulnerability
- Prestidigitation: Nommo is skilled in stage magic, performing simple tricks and elaborate illusions.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat
- Backwards Speech: Backwards Speech is most commonly known as Mnemonic Incantations.
- Mnemonic Incantation: Nommo must concentrate on her magic to make sure she is using the proper spell. It is at this point where he is most vulnerable. Mnemonic incantation is the most complicated of the mystic arts.
- Higher-Level Magics: If the magic power-level of his opponent is higher than his, then it would be extremely difficult for him to win a battle. In addition, it is difficult to impossible to affect a spell that was set in motion with higher-level magics.
Super Friends comics (1976-1981):
- Super Friends #12 (November, 1977)
- Super Friends #13 (September 1, 1978)
- Super Friends #45 (June 1, 1981)
- Super Friends #46 (July 1, 1981)
- The Doctor Mist was originally introduced in the continuity of the SuperFriends Universe Earth-1A.
- He first appeared in the SuperFriends comic book series issue #12 (July 1, 1978).
- He was created by E. Nelson Bridwell and Ramona Fradon.
- He was outside of standard Earth-One continuity at the time.
Doctor Mist is based on both the Guardian of the Gate and the character of King Noot introduced in Chapter 18 of Wisdom's Daughter by H. Rider Haggard.
- ↑ As revealed in the SuperFriends ComicBook, issue #12 (July 1, 1978).
- ↑ As revealed in the SuperFriends ComicBook, issue #13 (September 1, 1978).
- ↑ As revealed in the SuperFriends ComicBook, issues #45 and #46 (June 1981-July 1981).
- ↑ Jimenez, Phil (2006), "Doctor Mist", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, pp. 95, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5, OCLC 213309017
- ↑ Wisdom's Daughter by H. Rider Haggard, found at Project Gutenberg Australia