Legion of Doom Team Member
|Species:||Human (formerly Gorilla)|
|Affiliations:||Legion of Doom|
|Rogue of:||Apache Chief|
|Voiced/Played:|| Ruth Forman|
Louise Williams - young
She was a member of the Legion of Doom.
While horseback riding in the woods, a young woman sees a young Apache and the Chief of the Apache tribe using what appears to be ‘magic powder’, which the Chief says will amplify one's thoughts. Apache Chief uses this powder to increase his size and dispose of a grizzly bear who was threatening the old chief without resorting to violence, simply picking up the bear and putting it in another part of the mountains. Seeing what the ‘magic powder’ does to the young Apache she tries to kill them so she can have it for herself, in which case she wants to be famous as the world's biggest woman. She attempts to push a boulder on the old chief, but Apache Chief rescues his mentor from danger. Unsuccessful, she uses her rope to lasso the pouch around the old chief’s waist. Although the old chief warns her not to use that powder as her thoughts are selfish, she sprinkles the powder on her head and grows. As expected, her attitude is multiplied as well and now she desires to be a supervillian, She looks over at the young Apache and says that she is now "50-foot of evil to match his 50-foot of good".
However, later she and Gorilla Grodd would recall her Earth-Forty history where she was a female zoo ape who Professor Zool transformed into a blond haired human amazon using his evolution ray, who is seven foot tall and arguably the world's strongest woman. This "Mandela effect" is due to both Earth-Thirty-Two and Earth-Forty being hypertime realties causing Giganta and Grodd to recall events (Earth-Forty) that didn't actually happen in their native reality (Earth-Thirty-Two).
Powers and Abilities
- Size Alteration: She has the ability to increase her size, a power she stole from Apache Chief.
- Superhuman Strength: Even without growing to the size of a giant, she is already incredibly strong, having gorilla-like strength, as she was once a gorilla.
Legion of Doom Team Members
- Giganta's first appearance was in Wonder Woman, vol. 1 #9, published in 1944, written by Wonder Woman creator William Moulton Marston.
- Her first appearance is during DC's Golden Age.
- Marston presents her as a brutish strongwoman with no super powers other than unusual strength.
- Her appearance on the SuperFriends marks the first time Giganta was seen outside comics. She was portrayed as a powerful member of the Legion of Doom.
- In the TV series, she has the ability to grow to giant size (with accompanying superhuman strength) simply by willing it. At the time, she did not yet possess this ability in the comics. She didn't get her size increasing powers until her re-introduction in the nineties comics.
- In the comics she is portrayed as the enemy of Wonder Woman, in the SuperFriends continuity, she is portrayed as the enemy of Apache Chief. Yet, on the "Challenge of the Superfriends" DVD set, her bio calls her an enemy of both Wonder Woman and Apache Chief.
- In the comics (Earth-Two and Earth-Forty continuity), Giganta was an ape that Professor Zool turned into a woman. She and Grodd recall her Earth-Forty origin and history (even though that Giganta was blond not a brunette) but it is later revealed that is not her actual origin.
- Giganta is portrayed by Aleshia Brevard in her Legends of the Superheroes (1979) live-action appearance.
- Giganta is the 2nd female giant in the series after Amy Zahn.
- See Giganta at wikipedia.org
- See Giganta at the Comic Vine
- See Giganta at Seanbaby's SuperFriends page
- See Giganta at DCAU wiki
- See Giganta at the DC Database