- You may be looking for Alan Scott. Green Lantern of Earth-Two and JSA Member.
- You may be looking for Green Lantern Disambiguation Page.
|Real name:||Harold Jordan|
|AKA:||Colonel Hal Jordan|
|Relatives:||Harold Jordan (cousin)|
|Base:|| Sector 2814|
Hall of Justice
|Affiliations:|| Justice League of America |
Green Lantern Corps
U.S. Air Force
|Rogue of:||Sinestro (arch-enemy)|
|Weaponry:|| Power Ring |
|Hal Jordan Gallery|
SuperFriends Team Member
Hal Jordan is the greatest Green Lantern, an Intergalactic Space Patrolman and member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe for his ability to overcome great fear. The strength of his willpower allows him to wield the universe's mightiest weapon, a power ring controlled by his thoughts. In his secret identity he is a test pilot working for Ferris Aircraft where his boss Carol Ferris is also his romantic interest. His powers are useless against anything colored yellow. He is also a founding member of the Justice League.
|“||In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!||”|
— Hal Jordan, from Showcase, #22 (October, 1959).
In the parallel-universe of Earth-One, a space-patrolman named Abin Sur of the Green Lantern Corps crash lands in the middle of the California desert. As he lays dying, he commands his power ring to seek out a worthy successor for Sector 2814 – one who proves to be fearless and strong-willed. Miles away, test pilot Hal Jordan is examining a stationary ‘flight simulator’ at the Ferris Aircraft Company when a corona of green light envelops him, pulling him along with the simulator to the spot of Abin Sur's crashed vessel. Abin Sur tells Hal that the 'power' of the ring selected him to take on the role of the Green Lantern. He gives him the ring and a power battery. He instructs him that the ring will obey his every command but is powerless against anything colored yellow. He also tells him that the ring's energy must be charged from the power battery once every twenty-four hours. Hal agrees to accept the responsibility of wielding the ring in the cause of justice, and, with that, Abin Sur passes away. Hal Jordan is now Green Lantern. 
This historical-transaction was concealed from the Guardians because of an Ion-Storm. About a year later, the Guardians decide to check on their new recruit. While he is in-flight, testing a new aircraft, his ‘astral-form’ is transported to the world of the Guardians, who seek to know who took over the role of Green Lantern in that sector of space from Abin Sur. Hal recounts the events that led to him becoming the Green Lantern. Convinced that Hal is worthy of the title, but not ready to know of their existence; they erase his memory and return his astral form to his physical body. Aside from a feeling of dizziness, Hal is unaware of what just happened.
According to Earth-1A continuity, Lex Luthor, Cheetah and Sinestro team-up to target a few of the "greater Superfriends". They devise a plan to travel back in time to weaken the team by making sure that certain Justice Leaguers never existed (in addition to Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman were also targeted). Lex Luthor wanted to target the Green Lantern. So he travels back to the day Abin Sur was looking for a successor. Luthor convinces Colonel Jordan his life is in danger and instead is carried off by Abin Sur's green beam, Luthor was and becomes the Green Lantern instead. The damaged timeline is corrected when Black Vulcan, The Flash and Batman also go back in time to thwart Luthor and ensure Jordan fulfills his destiny of being the Green Lantern, thus saving their teammate.
Continuity From His Filmation Appearances
Powers and Abilities
- Green Lantern Ring Mastery: Jordan's constructs are among the most powerful. When he creates them, one often witnesses an "afterburner" behind Jordan of all his stray thoughts unconnected to the job at hand.
- Indomitable Will
- Green Lantern Ring
The ring is ineffective against anything colored yellow.
It must also be recharged at Green Lantern's power battery every 24 hours to remain functional.
Justice League Team Members
|Members of the Justice League of America|
Aquaman (founding member) • Batman (founding member) • Superman (founding member) • Flash (founding member)
- Like the recreation of the Golden Age Flash for the Silver Age version, Schwartz wanted a new version of Green Lantern to have a different secret identity, origin, and personality than his 1940s counterpart. He enlisted writer John Broome and artist Gil Kane, who in 1959 would reintroduce Green Lantern to the world in Showcase vol. 1, #22 (October, 1959).
- ↑ Origin revealed in Showcase, #22 (October, 1959). This origin is also depicted in the Season 3 episode: Secret Origins of the Super Friends (October 28, 1978).
- ↑ As revealed in Green Lantern, #1 (July/August 1960).
- ↑ As revealed in Justice League of America, #9 (February, 1962).
- ↑ Origin from theSeason 3 episode: Secret Origins of the Super Friends (October 28, 1978). As a side note, this means that Luthor and perhaps the rest of the Legion of Doom knows Hal Jordan’s secret identity.
- ↑ Although there has been some instances, which were likely mistakes on the animator's part, in which this wasn't the case.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Showcase, #22 (October, 1959).
- ↑ As seen in The Challenge, episode one of Legends of the Superheroes.