- You may be looking for Queen Hippolyta (Earth-2A).
|Real name:|| Hippolyta or|
|Species:|| Human |
|Relatives:||Princess Diana (daughter)|
|Abilities:|| Immortal |
|Voiced/Played:||Pat Carroll (1988)|
Hippolyta is the Queen of the Amazons, and mother of Diana. She is the wise and fair ruler of Paradise Island. Years ago, under guidance of Athena, goddess of wisdom, Queen Hippolyta molded a young girl out of clay. She fell in love with her creation and cried out to Aphrodite, goddess of beauty and love, to bring the child to life, so that it could be her daughter. Aphrodite appeared and granted her wish. She then instructed Queen Hippolyta to name her after the moon goddess and call her Diana.
- During the Golden Age era Hippolyte remained on Paradise Island, rarely interacting with the modern world to which her daughter had journeyed. Her role was that of the Amazon Queen and mentor to Wonder Woman. She was devoted to the Olympian goddesses, particularly the Amazons' patron Aphrodite, and was adamant that man never be allowed to set foot on Paradise Island.
- In the 1960s when DC Comics introduced the concept of the Multiverse, this Hippolyte was established as existing on the world known as Earth-Two. This incarnation of Hippolyte was phased out around issue #97 of the original Wonder Woman comic when the focus shifted from Earth-Two to the more modern versions of the characters on Earth-One.
- The Silver Age Hippolyte continued thereafter and had blonde hair. Her history was largely identical to the Golden Age version, though a few significant Silver Age stories diverge from the original. For example, it was established that Hippolyta had crafted a second daughter from clay, a dark-skinned Amazon named Nubia who was to be Wonder Woman's twin sister before she was spirited away by the god Mars. She was also the adoptive mother of Donna Troy, who had been rescued from a fire and brought to Paradise Island. As before, Hippolyta's role in the Silver Age era was primarily that of Paradise Island's queen and mentor to Wonder Woman, although never happy that she joined the Justice League. According to the DC Comics 1976 calendar, Hippolyta was born on January 8.
- In 1985, the Crisis on Infinite Earths miniseries revised DC Comics history and combined the multiple Earths into one world. The modern version of Hippolyta would combine elements of her earlier incarnations and take on greater importance in the series.
As an Amazon, Hippolyta possessed a strength level greater than that of the average human female.
Season 3 (1978):
The 1988, Superman (TV series):
Super Friends (comic book) issue:
- Hippolyta is based on Hippolyte, queen of the Amazons in Greek mythology.
- Hippolyta first appeared in All Star Comics, vol. 1 #8 (December 1941) in the same backup feature that introduced her daughter, Wonder Woman.
- She was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter.