In the year 1957 on the parallel-dimension known as Earth-Two, aging hero Bruce Wayne and his wife, Selina Kyle (the former criminal known as Catwoman) gave birth to a daughter named Helena. She grew up enjoying the benefits of being in a wealthy household. She was amazed to learn that her father was Batman. As a young girl, she embraced Dick Grayson as her older brother and looked to the Wayne's butler, Alfred Pennyworth, as a second father. After finishing school, she joined the law firm of Cranston and Grayson.
In 1976, desiring retribution for the death of her mother, she created a costume for herself, and fashioned some weapons from her parents' equipment (including her eventual trademark, a crossbow). After accomplishing this, Helena decided to continue to fight crime, under the code name "the Huntress."
Powers and Abilities
- Above Average Strength: Helena Wayne possessed the physical strength of a woman her age, size and weight who engaged in intensive physical exercise.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): In the prime of her costumed crime-fighting career, Helena Wayne was in peak physical condition and possessed great agility, and was extremely proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
- Archery: The Huntress was an expert marksman with a crossbow.
- Law: At age twenty-one, Helena graduated top of her class and was class valedictorian from Harvard University; becoming an expert in all areas pertaining to civil and criminal law.
Various devices she carried in a utility belt.
Mini-Crossbow: The Huntress employed a miniature crossbow, which she usually fastened to the side of her boot, as well as various explosive devices.
SuperFriends Team Members
Legends of the Superheroes (1979)
- The Huntress first appears in DC Super Stars, vol. 1 #17 (November-December 1977), which told her origin.
- She was created by Paul Levitz and Joe Staton.
- The Huntress' affiliation with the Justice Society of America is established in All Star Comics, vol. 1 #69 (December 1977).
- The Huntress is featured in both segments of NBC's live-action, Legends of the Superheroes (1979); thus appearing to be a native of Earth-1A. There was no mention of her being from another earth.
- In the comic books, Huntress is shown to be a Golden-Age character, from Earth-Two; and has no counterpart on Earth-One.
- In her Earth-1A appearance, her secret identity was never revealed. On Earth-Two, she is Helena Wayne, daughter of Bruce Wayne. It seems unlikely that would be the case on Earth-1A, since she would have to be Bruce Wayne's daughter and there has never been any suggestion that he has a daughter, nor was it implied in the episodes she appeared in. Nevertheless there's no way to know for sure.
- Two different sources are often cited as the first appearance of the Huntress. Her origin appearance takes place in flashback in DC Super-Stars, Vol. 1 #17 (December, 1977), but her first physical appearance is in All-Star Comics, Vol. 1 #69 (November, 1977).
- See Helena Wayne (Earth-Two) at DC Database
- For more on Huntress (Helena Wayne) see article at Wikipedia
- Huntress Unofficial Webpage
- Helena Wayne aka the Huntress (Earth-2) at the Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- The Huntress at the JSA Member List
- The Huntress Chronology at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe