In the Earth-1A universe, a similar universe to Earth-One, exists the Legion of Doom, an organized body of self-proposed Supervillains. Although they never seem to get the upper hand on their nemeses, the SuperFriends, they nevertheless quest for evil and the destruction of all that is good.
In response to the joining together of the the SuperFriends, these villains felt that they needed to combine forces to keep from being defeated.
|“||Banded together from remote galaxies, thirteen of the most sinister villains of all time - the Legion of Doom!||”|
— SuperFriends, Narrator
In each episode that they appeared, the Legion of Doom would enact various plots against the Super Friends, only to be met with defeat by the end of the story. Often, however, they would escape capture through a last-minute escape plan.
The Legion of Doom was always a mismatch against the likes of the SuperFriends. Indeed, by sheer numbers the Legion outdo the Friends with two extra members; however, when you consider that the Riddler is among the surplus members, the odds are still not in their favor.
This elite group of villains was formed by Lex Luthor, yet, he certainly did not maintain absolute leadership over the rest of the group. In-fighting, deceit, and suspicion are rampant throughout each and every Legion appearance.
Although the lineup is meant to be a collection of the best and brightest among super criminals, more than likely members of the production team tried to balance a lineup with at least one foe for every SuperFriends team member, such as Black Manta vs. Aquaman, and Captain Cold vs. the Flash.
- Doctor Sivana (leader)
- Poison Ivy
- Heat Wave
- King Kull
- Gorilla Grodd
- Mister Atom
- Captain Cold
- Beautia Sivana
- Abra Kadabra
Another member of the group, but it's not certain which incarnation of the group he was in, was Doctor Nataz. He invented the noxium crystal, which was deadly to every member of the Superfriends, as it contained trace amounts of their weaknesses in it.
|Lex Luthor||Brainiac||Gorilla Grodd||Black Manta||Cheetah||Sinestro|
|Captain Cold||Scarecrow||Toyman||Solomon Grundy||The Riddler||Giganta||Bizarro|
The Hall of Doom was mobile, lowered below or raised above the swamp water's surface, and often flown through the air via rockets if needed, even remotely controlled. It also had laser defense weapons and at times was altered to time travel to the past or future.
Season 3 (1978):
The Legion also appeared in a few Super Friends shorts
- 'The Revenge of Doom' (1983 Short): All 13 Legion of Doon members appear, but only Lex Luthor, Sinestro and Solomon Grundy speak.
- 'Two Gleeks Are Deadlier Than One' (1983 Short): Though only Giganta and Grodd appear, the Legion is mentioned.
- 'The Krypton Syndrome' (1983 Short): After Superman saves Krypton in the past, he returns to an alternate present. Robin mentions that the Super Friends were defeated by the Legion of Doom.
Members of the team have solo appearances in later episodes
Lex Luthor appears in:
- 'Lex Luthor Strikes Back', The World's Greatest Super Friends (1979)
- 'The Case of the Shrinking Superfriends', Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
- 'No Honor Among Thieves', Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
- 'The Mask of Mystery', Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
- 'The Seeds of Doom', The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985)
Brainiac appears in:
- 'Superclones', 1980 Short
- 'The Wrath of Brainiac', Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
- - Brainiac takes up a more robotic form from this appearance to Brainchild matching his current comic counterpart at the time.
- 'The Village of Lost Souls', Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1985)
- 'Brainchild', The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985)
Bizarro appears in:
The Riddler appears in:
The Scarecrow appears in:
- 'The Fear', The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985) - introducing his real name, Jonathan Crane
- The Legion of Doom was a new creation by Hanna-Barbera for the Challenge of the SuperFriends season.[?]
- The Joker was a planned member of the team, but his appearance in the Filmation series, The New Adventures of Batman prevented Hanna-Barbera from using the character.[?]
- Captain Marvel and a few of his enemies were to be part of Challenge of the Super Friends, but Filmation bought the rights to the characters involved.
- The episode "Superfriends: Rest in Peace" makes a reference to a former unseen member of the Legion, the only time such a reference has been made. This was Doctor Natas (Satan spelled backwards).
Appearances in Other Media
- ↑ This was the lineup that was used during pre-production, but never made it to the series.
- ↑ This is early concept art from the Challenge of the SuperFriends that never made it to the final production. The image features Doctor Sivana, Poison Ivy, Heat Wave, King Kull, Gorilla Grodd, Mister Atom, Cheetah, Sinestro, Captain Cold, Joker, Beautia Sivana, Penguin and Abra Kadabra.
- ↑ As depicted on Legends of the Superheroes
- ↑ As seen in multiple episodes of the Challenge of the SuperFriends.
- ↑ As seen in The Challenge.