|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Real Name||Rex Mason|
|AKA||The Element Man|
Metamorpho's, real name was Rex Mason. He was an adventurer.
On the parallel universe, known as Earth-One, in early 64', Rex Mason was on an expedition in an Egyptian pyramid. He was hired by business tycoon Simon Stagg to retrieve a rare Egyptian artifact. While in the pyramid, Mason was knocked out by Simon's brutish bodyguard, Java, and eventually exposed to a radioactive meteorite called the Orb of Ra, which transformed him into the Element Man.
He soon gained the ability to shapeshift and change himself into any element found in the human body. It was later revealed that Mason was but one of many metamorphae, who are created by the sun god Ra to serve as warriors in his battle against the god Apep, "the serpent who never dies."
Metamorpho, could not assume a fully human, normal appearance. As such, he regarded his metamorphic powers as a disease, and sought a cure for his condition. He considered himself a non-human freak because of his abilities and wanted to be restored to normal. For that reason, he rejected an offer of membership that the Justice League of America extended to him.
Powers and Abilities
- Elemental Transmutation: Can transmute his body to any of a wide variety of elemental compounds and form it to his will. Originally, he was limited to the elements which occur naturally in the human body. Over time, this limitation seems to have disappeared. He can alter the shapes and consistencies of these elements and combine them to form complex compounds. Rex can assume forms of gas, liquid or solid states.
- Body Resistance: The nature of Rex's body provides him with natural body armor offering damage resistance from blunt attacks and energy attacks.
- Shape-change: Metamorpho can also shape parts and portions of his body instead of the whole. He can form such complex shapes as a tank and a bicycle and such simple forms as a cloud or a spring. Rex may turn his arms into weapons such as axes, swords, hammers, etc.
Orb of Ra
As a Wax Figure in late 1975:
- Metamorpho first appears in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #57 (January, 1964).
- He was created by Bob Haney and Ramona Fradon.
- Metamorpho was set to appear in Filmation's The Batman/Superman Hour but the episodes were canceled.
- ↑ As seen in the SuperFriends Comic Book issue: Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (December 1975 / January 1976)
- ↑ The Orb was made into a scepter, which was fashioned from a meteor that fell to Earth during the 15th dynasty in Ancient Egypt during the reign of Ramses II.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #57 (January, 1964).