|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Real name:||Red Tornado|
|Relatives:||T.O. Morrow (creator/father)|
|Affiliations:||Justice League of America|
|Abilities:||Air and wind manipulation|
Justice League of America Team Member
In the parallel universe of Earth-One, Ulthoon the Tornado Tyrant from the planet Rann was a living cyclone that journeyed to Earth and found its sentience infused into an android body, becoming the Red Tornado.
This android was created by the supervillain and renegade scientist T. O. Morrow for the purpose of infiltrating the Justice League of America; which involved giving the android a false memory of attended the first JLA meeting. However, the Red Tornado turned on his creator and joined the JLA.
Continuity from Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #146 (September 1977)
The Red Tornado is unmasked as an electronic consciousness known as the Construct. Soon after wards he is deactivated. Superman, Batman, and Green Arrow seek information about the first en-counter between the Construct and the JLA from Aquaman and Atom in Atlantis, while Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Black Canary accompany Wonder Woman to Paradise Island, where she uses the Amazons Memory Chair to remember her own mental subjugation to the Construct's will in its second incarnation. Regrouping, the heroes discover the Construct's hideaway, but the villain escapes them by transferring its mind elsewhere. The Red Tornado comes to life again, but is unable to convince the members that he is now truly in control of his actions. When he finally does convince Hawkman and the female members, they are too late to prevent the Construct from taking over the minds of the others, and must battle their own teammates. Finally, the Red Tornado battles the Construct, will-against-will, and the machine-intelligence is destroyed in its attempt to subjugate the android's mind. Wonder Woman ensures that this destruction of the Construct is permanent, Red Tornado is reinstated as a member, and Hawkgirl at last joins the team.
Continuity from SuperFriends Comic Book (November 1977)
Powers and Abilities
Red Tornado's Android Body:
- Aerokinesis: Red Tornado's true form was a powerful entity composed purely of violent wind forces. His android form channeled these forces through his arms and legs to produce bursts of cyclone-force winds and high speed forward velocity.
- Air Blasts: Can project his whirlwinds at over 350mph from each arm. His winds are said to level a building in seconds.
- Flight: By channeling these cyclone-force winds through the lower part of his body, he can fly at incredible speeds or hover in one place.
- Invisibility: On occasion, Red Tornado used his high-velocity movement to render himself invisible to unaided human vision.
- Deflection: Also is able to deflect approaching objects with ease.
- Force Field: able to circulate the high force winds around himself or an extended area to protect himself and/or others from attacks and flying debris.
- Tornado Creation: can create tornadoes and twisters with destructive winds. An F5 tornado has winds of about 315 mph----His cyclone-force winds can be projected at over 350 mph from each arm.
- Resurrection: After death, Red Tornado's soul is able to return to his robot shell within 24 hours as long as his body is able to function.
- Superhuman Strength
- Invulnerability: Has been seen surviving the blast of a missile.
- Superhuman Equilibrium: With the use of gyroscopes and stabilizers inside his robotic body, Red Tornado's balance is so good that he can balance on a single toe for three days.
- Computerized Brain: As a robot with a computerized brain, he retains a "photographic memory". In addition he is able to run full-diagnostic scans to see what is going on inside his body. Able to download specs of different buildings and use them for tactical purposes. To Red Tornado's knowledge, his computerized brain has a few hundred million terabytes of memory.
- Regeneration: His body has a self-repair function which enables him to fully repair himself given enough time depending on how damaged he has become.
- Self-Sustenance: As a robot he doesn't require food, water, air, or sleep but has his own power supply to keep him alive and functioning. As an android he must regenerate and restore his power.
- Fail-Safe: Their is a fail-safe device in Red Tornado's neck. When struck there with enough force he will shut down.
- Death Wish: Red Tornado has expressed a particular willingness to sacrifice himself for others; this is believed to be the subconscious desires of the tornado-beings within him to free themselves.
- Android Body: Red Tornado may have an extremely resilient body, but it is in no way invulnerable.
- Reprogramming: Red Tornado is susceptible to being mechanically reprogrammed as well as controlled.
SuperFriends Team Members
- Issue #8 (November 1, 1977)
- The Red Tornado never appeared on the series. He only appeared in the comic book.
- The Silver Age Red Tornado is the second incarnation and was created by Gardner Fox and Dick Dillin.
- His first appearance was in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #64 (August 1968).
- See the Red Tornado disambiguation page at the DC Database
- See Red Tornado at the Wikipedia.org
- The Unofficial Red Tornado Chronology
Appearances in Other Media
- ↑ There was a voice actor that provided his voice in the Super Powers video series, but at this time the actor is unknown.
- ↑ For more on the planet of Rann go to the DC Database
- ↑ For more on the Construct go to the DC Database
- ↑ E. Nelson Bridwell, writer of Super Friends comic book #8 refers the Red Tornado's appearance to the events of Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #146
- ↑ The 1st incarnation (of Earth-Two) was a short elderly lady, known 'Ma' Hunkel. She became the cooking, pot-wearing crime fighter, known as the Red Tornado. She was a member of the Justice Society of America and curator of the JSA museum.
- ↑ Go to the DC Database for more on Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #64 (August 1968)