|Real Name||Roy Harper Jr.|
|Relatives|| Vandal Savage (ancestor)|
Roy Harper, Sr. (father)
|Apprentice to||Green Arrow|
|Played by||Pat Harrington, Jr.|
The original Speedy's real name was Roy Harper, Jr.. He was identified as the orphaned son of Roy Harper, Sr., a forest ranger who had died saving a Navajo medicine chief named "Brave Bow" from a fire. Brave Bow raised the younger Roy himself, training him at archery. Roy Jr. took to this training eagerly, and idolized the archer superhero, Green Arrow. As a teenager, Roy is given the opportunity to perform at an archery competition judged by Green Arrow, where he assists the hero at foiling an attempted burglary, even proving himself to be a faster shot than the hero. Following the death of Brave Bow, Green Arrow asked Roy to serve as his sidekick, an offer Roy jumped at, taking the name Speedy. Harper became the ward of Green Arrow's alter ego, millionaire Oliver Queen. Harper became also a founding member of the Teen Titans in the mid 1960's. After the original Titans disbanded, he joined a band called Great Frog and became a drug addict in late 1971. Roy spent some time in the Suicide Squad before returning to the Titans.
Speedy did not appear in any episodes of the Superfriends.
- The fact that Speedy was Green Arrow's sidekick was never actually revealed in the Super Friends (comic book) or the Filmation cartoons. This is just speculation based on the fact that in the comic books he was the sidekick of Green Arrow.
- He first appeared in More Fun Comics vol.1 #73 (November 1941)
- He was created by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris
Appearances in Other Media
- ↑ This was a first in DC comics, in an award-winning story in Green Lantern vol.2, #85-86 (Sept. & November 1971), part of a classic, 14-issue run by the writer-artist team of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams. For more on issue 85 and issue 86, go to the DC Database.
- ↑ Background Information is from Earth-One continuity.
- ↑ For more on More Fun Comics vol.1 #73, go to the DC Database.