Thanagar (aka Hawkworld) is the original home of the humanoid Thanagarian race, noted for the discovery of gravity-defying Nth Metal. The planet is in orbit around the star Polaris (in the Polaris star system).
On the parallel-universe of Earth-One, Thanagar was a highly advanced science-based world, with no problems of poverty, or civil or political unrest.
It was run by a single government called the Ruling Council and there wasn't any need for a police force. That is until an alien race called the Manhawks, who instigate the practice of stealing for the thrill of it, invaded. As a result, Paran Katar established the "Hawk-Police" (or "Wingmen"). Amongst the first Wingmen was Paran's son, Katar Hol. Order was restored, but not completely, as several (if not more) Thanagarians had adopted the concept of crime.
Katar and his wife Shayera Hol, also a member of the force, later arrived on Earth pursuing a shapeshifting villain named Byth. Katar and Shayera decided to remain on Earth and study human police methods. They became superheroes as Hawkman and Hawkwoman.
Appearances and References
- Opening theme
- The Roast (referenced)
- The first appearance of Thanagar was in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #34 (March, 1961).
- In was creators by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert.
- ↑ As seen in the opening theme of The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure.
- ↑ This based on the Silver Age, pre-Crisis continuity.
- ↑ Go to DC Database for more on Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #34 (March, 1961).