The country is situated mostly in central North America, where its forty-eight contiguous states and Washington, D.C., the capital district, lie between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, bordered by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south. The state of Alaska is in the northwest of the continent, with Canada to the east and Russia to the west across the Bering Strait. The state of Hawaii is an archipelago in the mid-Pacific. The country also possesses several territories in the Caribbean and Pacific.
It is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries.
The United States was founded by thirteen British colonies located along the Atlantic seaboard. On July 4, 1776, they issued the Declaration of Independence, which proclaimed their right to self-determination and their establishment of a cooperative union. The rebellious states defeated the British Empire in the American Revolution, the first successful colonial war of independence. The current United States Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787; its ratification the following year made the states part of a single republic with a strong central government. The Bill of Rights, comprising ten constitutional amendments guaranteeing many fundamental civil rights and freedoms, was ratified in 1791.
List of U.S. states
Below is a list of all 50 of the United States plus popular locations in them. (The District of Columbia is listed also)
- ↑ As seen in The Moonman.
- ↑ Conjecture, based on the location of the city in the comics.
- ↑ Smallville's location was never revealed, but it's most likely Kansas, as it is widely known as being located there in most continuities. Plus, the episode Return of the Phantoms strongly implies that it is located in Western Kansas, because when the Kryptonian villains retreat, they head toward the "Rockies,". which are located in the neighboring state of Colorado.
- ↑ Not said to be in Kansas outright, but it was mentioned as being in the geographical center of the United States, which would be Kansas.
- ↑ This location is conjecture, based on the fact that it was in close proximity to Gotham City.
- ↑ Conjecture, based on the comics. Most continuities have portrayed Gotham City as being in the state of New Jersey.
- ↑ Conjecture, based on the comics. Most continuities have portrayed Metropolis as being in or near New York.
- ↑ As seen in Sink Hole.